This recipe is a simple enchilada recipe that I had made one day after watching friends and family make these and then changing things around to make it my own. This meal costs under $25 to make and will yield 9-10 enchiladas.
1 pound of ground beef
1 package of low sodium Old El Paso taco seasoning mix
1 can of Old El Paso green chilies
1 red pepper
1 small onion
1-10 ounce can of Old El Paso red enchilada sauce
9-10 8inch Old El Paso soft flour tortillas.
1. Dice the onion and one-third of the red pepper. Put them in separate bowls and place them to the side.
2. Open the can of green chilies and pour about two-thirds of the can into a bowl and place to the side.
3. Pour enough vegetable oil into a large skillet to cover the bottom of it and heat the oil until it’s warm.
4. Sauté the pepper and onion in the skillet until they are almost soft.
5. Add in the green chilies and continue to sauté the vegetables until soft.
6. Pour the sautéed vegetables in a bowl and place it aside for later.
7. In the same skillet, place your ground beef in it and cook until browned.
8. Once the meat is cooked, drain the grease from the pan.
9. Follow the directions on the back of the taco pack. Add the required water amount of water and the package of seasoning to the meat.
10. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
11. Add the satuéed vegetables to the ground beef. Mix them together.
12. Place a tortilla on the counter. Add two to three scoops of the meat and vegetable mixture to the middle of the tortilla. Add shredded cheese to your liking.
13. Roll the tortilla and place it in a glass dish that is oven safe.
14. Add the can of red enchilada sauce to the tops of the rolled tortillas.
15. Top with more shredded cheese.
16. Put the dish into the oven for 12 minutes to warm the enchilada sauce and melt the cheese.
17. Take the enchiladas out of the oven and serve.
If you want to make a complete meal, serve the enchiladas with a side of vegetables. I served this dish with a side of corn and green beans. This dish takes about 40 minutes to make and costs less than $25.