Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite cookies to make. Here is a step-by-step recipe for the delightful treat.
This recipe yields about 24 cookies.
You will need:
- One baking sheet
- Parchment paper and/or cooking spray
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- An oven, obviously
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon OR all-spice
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) salted butter, softened
- ½ cup vegetable shortening OR vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and preheat the oven to 370 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a shallow dish, combine one-fourth cup of sugar and cinnamon or all-spice.
3. In a medium-sized bowl, combine flour, cream of tartar and baking soda.
4. In a large bowl or stand mixer, beat together the remaining sugar, butter and shortening until light and fluffy.
5. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Scrape the bowl and beater(s) as needed.
6. Add dry ingredients in small increments until fully incorporated. Mix the dough with a spatula to ensure the dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.
8. Optional: Chill the dough for 30-45 minutes.
9. Working with 2-3 tablespoons of dough, form the dough into balls and roll in the spice and sugar mixture to coat the dough evenly.
10. Space cookies 1-2 inches apart on baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes or until the centers are soft and puffy.
11. Take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool for 10 minutes. Best served warm.