With springtime coming and COVID-19 taking over our lives, finding ways to bring cheer is difficult. However, baking can bring people happiness while making delicious treats. Here is a recipe for sprinkled sugar cookies, based on this recipe from Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom.
You will need:
- 1 bag of sugar cookie mix, any brand, including ingredients needed to make cookies
- 4 small bowls
- Food coloring
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 can of white frosting (optional)
- A spoon or cookie scoop
- A glass for flattening cookies
- A spatula for frosting cookies (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees, or 350 degrees if you use a non-stick or dark cookie sheet.
2. Add the ingredients listed on the back of the sugar cookie bag. For the Betty Crocker brand, you will need a half stick of softened butter and one egg.
3. Combine one white egg, a half stick of softened butter and the cookie mix into a bowl. Mix well with a large spoon.
4. On a non-stick cookie sheet, use a spoon or cookie scoop to place the unbaked cookies 1-2 inches apart onto the sheet.
5. Flatten the cookies with your hand or the bottom of a glass.
6. Bake the cookies for 8-10 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
7. Take the cookies out of the oven and turn the oven off.
8. While the cookies are cooling, divide a cup of sugar into four small bowls.
9. Add food coloring to the sugar and stir slowly until the sugar is colored.
10. Use a can of fluffy white frosting and add food coloring to make the colored frosting.
11. Sprinkle the cookies with the sugar or frost them with a spatula.
12. Serve and enjoy!